In my quest to find the best food for my pets and help others make the best food choices for their pets I have tried several brands of raw, natural and organic products. The following review is about one of my favorites.
About Primal Raw Nuggets
Primal Pets offers various forms of frozen and freeze-dried raw food for cats and dogs. I found the freeze-dried nuggets met my needs and my dog loves them.
One of the main reasons I love Primal Pets is they use human grade products meaning that they don’t use the waste from the meat industry. All of their products are USDA inspected, the fruits and vegetables are certified organic and they do not use any synthetic vitamins or minerals and they do not use any preservatives.
Primal Pets use only ethically raised, grass fed and cage free animal sources that are grown without hormones, antibiotics or steroids. The meat sources are from the Unites States, Europe, New Zealand and Australia.
This means your pet is getting the best.
How Do They Make The Food
Primal Pets uses a method called “High Pressure Processing” for most of their products. This means that the food is not cooked at high temperatures it never goes above 70 degrees Fahrenheit so the enzymes, minerals and vitamins are not damaged but kills pathogenic bacteria. This method is a natural water process and is USDA approved for organic and natural products.
A Closer Look At The Protein
The first ingredient in every product is a real meat protein such as lamb, chicken, venison, beef, bison, pork, turkey, rabbit, duck or fish. They follow the main meat source with organ sources such as liver, heart and gizzards. This ensures sufficient essential amino acids and minerals.
Each protein source offers a slightly different set of nutrients and the percentage of protein varies depending on the source.
- The Dog Foods protein ranges from 37% for the chicken up to 59% for the venison
- The Cat Foods protein ranges from 37% for the duck up to 62% for the venison
Because the percentage of protein varies I rotate the products to be sure my dog is getting the complete scale of nutrients he needs.
Other Important Ingredients
The other ingredients although lower in volume are just as important as the protein. Here is a list of a few of the other ingredients and some of their benefits.
- Bone is a natural source of calcium, chondroitin and glucosamine
- Kale or cabbage are rich in beta-carotene, vitamin C, vitamin K and calcium. Kale also contains sulforaphane which is a natural chemical that is believed to possess potent anti-cancer properties
- Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, minerals and fiber
- Squash is a source of complex carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and fiber
- Pumpkin Seeds are rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals and contains linoleic acid which is an essential omega 6 fat
- Coconut Oil is a medium chain triglyceride that has been shown to maintain cognitive function
- Montmorillite Clay is a naturally occurring compound that contains many trace minerals and has been known to bind to mold based toxins and helps with diarrhea and irritable bowel syndrome, it is approved for use in certified organic products
- Blueberries and Cranberries both natural antioxidants that promote urinary tract health
Why Primal Pet Food
A species appropriate raw diet offers better digestion and nutrient absorption for your pet and Primal Pets has done their research. They know what a species appropriate diet looks like and they know that cats are dogs are not biologically the same.
Primal Pets stand by their products and they provide a list identifying the source of every single ingredient they use so we can see where they come from. (You can find the list on their website primalpetfoods.com)
I have given this food to my pets for a few years now and I encourage you to try this for your own pets. Just click on the links and they will take you straight to the source where you can purchase these items.
I get paid commissions for purchases made through the affiliate links in this post.We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.